RE: Stainless Steel Bolts vs Zinc plated bolts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel Bolts vs Zinc plated bolts
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
> This may be a dumb question ..
>
> Do Grade 5 stainless steel bolts have the same sheer strength as the
> equivalent Grade 5 Zinc Plated bolts?  i.e., can I replace the ZP bolts
> with stainless steel without worry about weakening the joint?

Are you sure those are Grade 5 stainless bolts? Is there such a thing?

I think that if it's really a Grade 5 bolt, it doesn't matter what
it's made of - Grade 5 is a particular set of specifications.

But since stainless is a pretty different critter, I would be surprised
if you actually have a Grade 5 stainless bolt in your hand.