RE: low compression

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: low compression
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:39:18 -0700
> My question is, at this point, the car is still  driveable, just
> idles rough and is down on power, but I can still get around town
> ok.  What happens when you drive a car with low compression in 1
> cylinder?  Will the engine eventually stop running or lock up
> without warning?

Depends a great deal on where the compression is going, IMO.  If it's going
into the water jacket, you're going to have a hard time keeping the cooling
system full and low coolant is a killer for aluminum engines.  But I've
driven iron engines for a long time on N-1 cylinders (first car was a Chevy
straight 6 that only ran on 5); and the only real problem was vibration and
lack of power.

> Should I disconnect the spark plug lead from the bad cylinder and
> drive it like that, or leave it attached?

I'd disconnect it.

Randall