Questions re: landscape curbing

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions re: landscape curbing
From: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:17:07 -0700
I'm again turning to the best experts around,
the ShopTalk group!  Just to keep on topic, we're
looking at asphalt paving our driveway, parking and
trailer turn-around area (it's currently gravel).  The
adjoining flower beds, currently restrained by old
4x4 timbers will be redesigned into a more
"curving style" edges rather than the strict straight
edges as required by the 4x4 timbers.

I'm looking for a durable but not too costly material.
Labor cost is an issue, as I will not be doing this
myself.  I've been through the multiple lathe bender boards
and would like something better.  Also, not a fan of
the plastic edging board that seems to last about
1 year.  There must be better options.

Anyone familiar with the rammed continuous concrete
edging>  Cost?  How about long lengths of steel, about
3-4" wide and retained by large spikes?

Any other suggestions?

Steve Hammatt
Near Seattle, WA