Re: Lug nuts

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lug nuts
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 19:51:06 -0500
On Saturday 30 April 2005 09:28 pm, Randall wrote:
> Seems most unlikely to me, given that the "key" to the lug nuts I chose is
> a quite hefty chunk of hardened steel.  Weighs several pounds at least, and
> a file just skitters over the surface.

What kind of locks did you get Randall?
I've had several sets of factory locks and then some aftermarket (McGuard)
and none of them were that substantial.  The factory keys are thin as can be
and even the McGuard (the one that broke) while thicker, wasn't much good.
Also  don't ever let the tire shop guys near the car, as I have had to go back
into a shop (different ones) and get the key that they forgot to put back in
the car.

To each his own, but my cars will never have locks again, especially since any
thief can get a set of sockets to remove any lock with out even having your
key.  Check those jobber mags at your local auto parts store, or Norhtern
tools carry them also, iirc.

And to my way of thinking, if they are going to take the time to jack up your
car and take the wheels, why not break the window and open the glove box for
your key?

Matt