Re: quickie elect. question

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: quickie elect. question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 23:27:27 -0400
scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> I wouldn't be even close to the electrician of the list, but I did
> read a fine homebuilding a few months back that talked about an older
> type of wiring that used the sheithing as a ground.  maybe since his
> house is old enough not to have three-prong outlets, his has this?
>
> this was not the metallic-armored stuff you see in permanent
> installations nowadays.  I can probably find and scan the article,
> assuming I'm not breaking a copywright law.

   This is where you'd need the real applicable code for your area, but
there is an important distinction to be made for wiring types that you
might find in the field versus what is legal (and safe) to install or
modify today.

   Knob and tube comes to mind... you might see it around, but you'd
never use it as a model to do renovations or repairs. Most old wiring,
if you can touch it, should just be used as a fish wire to pull in the
new wire. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca