My cordless drill is dead

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: My cordless drill is dead
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:33:33 -0800
Today I had to morn the passing of my beloved dewalt 14v cordless drill.
Easily one the top ten most used tools in my shop. Probably had it for 5
or more years now (I think). It has drilled a ton of holes, and driven
hundreds of screws (mostly square drive screws).

I was working off of a ladder and knocked it off the top rung. It
crashed to the floor from about 6' up. This is the second or third time
it has hit the deck in its lifetime (I think the arbor is a little bent
from previous falls). This time it would not survive. Looks like it hit
on the battery pack where it connects to the drill. Was able to drive
one more screw and then it locked up on me. Makes some sparking noise
but no workie. May it rest in peace...

Still had screws to drive so I busted out the corded Makita drill. Never
realized how nice that cordless drill was until I had to drive a bunch
of screws with the corded drill. The corded drill is of the old standard
pistol grip style, where the cordless was kind of a T type grip style.
The corded drill was quite fatiguing and awkward to use because of this,
the balance on the corded drill really sucked. Then of course there was
the cord getting caught in everything while trying to use the drill. The
lack of a clutch adjustment on the corded drill meant more striped
screws and made control of the drill harder. Finally, get this, I had to
use a chuck key to tighten the chuck!!! A chuck key for crying out
loud!! ;)

Oh well, guess I should start the research on new cordless.

Wayne