Re: question on C (neither L nor B)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: question on C (neither L nor B)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:41:16 -0500
At 11:39 AM 3/11/2005 -0500, Matt Trebelhorn wrote:

>I have, more or less by accident, a 1991 Toyota Camry with FI and a
>slushbox.  It's my first experience with FI, auto transmissions, and
>japanese cars in general; so I find myself at a bit of a loss at times.
>
>It's a reasonably good car, but I'm looking for some advice because it
>hesitates or stutters at times -- mostly noticeable at low speed and
>low throttle openings, when it drops in to top gear.  It will stutter a
>little if I don't press on the gas enough to kick down a cog.

M.

If the lock up converter is giving you problems, you'll feel a very hard
shutter, like a chattering clutch.  It will usually quit if you back off
the gas, or punch it.

As to a minor hesitation, I'd start by looking at some of the basics first.

1. When is the last time the fuel filter was changed - although this will
   usually limit your top speed.  While you're at it, replace the air filter.

2. Check all your plug wires, and the wire to the dist and coil to be sure
   their tight.

3. Check you timing.

4. Put a vac. gauge on it.  What kind of Vac. do you have?

5. The Throttle position sensor could have a bad spot and be causing the
    problem.  These are usually relatively cheap to replace.

6. As someone else pointed out, it could be a bad 02 sensor also.

Is you check engine light on?  If not, it's probably something that the
OBD I doesn't check.  Wires, a bad ground wire from the battery.

Good luck.  Let us know what you find out.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you are reading it in English - Thank a soldier!!