Floor support

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor support
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:41:20 -0800
I've got a heavy gun safe being delivered this week and would like to
provide some additional support for the floor where the safe will be
located. My house uses 2x14... or 2x something boards running the length
of the house on about 16" centers. Spaced out every few feet are 3' dia.
concrete rounds with a 4x4 post that supports the floor joists over
their length.

Assuming the safe doesn't just happen to end up right over one of the
existing 4x4 posts, I would like to add one or two additional 4x4 posts
directly under the safe. Maybe even two 4x4 posts on concrete pier
blocks with a horizontal board across the top just a bit longer than the
safe width, supporting the floor joists that are supporting the point
load of the safe.

I'm looking for some sort of adjustable house jack that would let me
screw up the tension on the boards. I seem to recall seeing something
like this, maybe from Simpson products? I think it was like a screw jack
that was mounted on a concrete pier block. The top of the screw jack had
a saddle to hold a 4x4. Anybody know what I'm talking about or where to
get them?

Thanks
Wayne