Re: Wireless Internet Networks

To: Steve Hammatt <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless Internet Networks
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:39:04 -0500
Steve Hammatt wrote:
> Is my thinking in the right direction?  Any suggestions for exactly
> what antennas I'm in need of?  It looks like my new Belkin
> Wireless Router does not have removable antennas.......so I'll
> probably have to switch out the unit for another router.....any
> suggestions here?

   I find antennas really fascinating and love to play with them and
design them and such.

   However, for solving a problem like this, consider a commercially
available repeater or booster.

   Most companies (D-link especially, and Linksys) sell repeaters and
such that work really well with their own hardware and are cheap.

   Installation is nothing, set up your primary router, then put the
repeater "somewhere in between" it and the area you need better coverage
for. That's about it, configure it to repeat the correct network and go.

   Depending on the situation though, you might just be able to move
your primary router to a different place (maybe with a long cable) and
solve the problem that way.

   I had a dead spot in my house that was solved by moving my router
about 1 meter. Go figure. It won't work miracles, but you never know.

   Long term, I'd like to move my router to the ground floor instead of
the basement to get more coverage in the back yard, but because of my
DMZ and stuff I'd have to run one cable there and one cable back and I
haven't gotten around to it yet.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca