looking also for a (ahem, wood) router

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: looking also for a (ahem, wood) router
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:44:50 +0000
I'm also shopping for a router.

I know very little about woodworking except that I'd like to learn to make my
own cabinets someday as a project.  but now I need to cut some (well, a lot) or
dovetail joints and I've seen in fhb and fww that I can buy a jig for a router
and cut decent ones.  not perfect hand-cut good, but good enough, and no one
will see them anyway, and I don't have any practice, so machine-cut they are.

so I need a router.  probably a table too, I guess.

anyhow, the bro says get a plunge router while I'm at it, will be able to do
more with it.  so I see the bosch, porter-cable and the dewalt.  all seem
nifty.  surely someone has opinions.

I found this:

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/rreview.shtml

but I honestly don't know what a good chunk of it means.  seems like the first
one listed would be up my alley, but the dw-625 seems to be the first choice.

is it possible to buy one router and grow into it, or do I resign myself to
buying two and just buy the one I need now?

thanks.

scott