RE: Lift install question

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Lift install question
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:56:09 -0500
>I was pretty surprised how much shimming was necessary to get my posts
>vertical.  My floor is almost perfectly level and on one side I have
>almost 1/4" of shims on one corner of the base.

Yeah, I didn't need to shim that much but I did need some shims.  1/8"
plastic shims on or so on one post and on the other I used steel
shimstock.  The alternative is to have the upper support need "adjusting"....

> >   - Blow out the concrete holes and use epoxy to set the
> > bolts - even if
> > they're expansion.  You don't want voids.
>
>I didn't do this.  What strength does the epoxy add?

It's stronger.  Fills in the voids, preventing any water or anything from
getting in there and corroding/freezing/etc..

> >   - I built a couple under car lights as shown by the pics at
> > http://home.mindspring.com/~haudi/.   Procedure:  goto home
> > depot and get 2
>
>Cool, Did you try mounting it vertically so you don't have to go around
>it all of the time?

Sure, you can hang them vertically on one of the hangers if you want.  I
find they have better light distribution mounted horizontally.  But on one
side, I sometimes mount it vertically since my tool boxes are on the side.

>I have a few lumps on my head that indicate this would be a very good
>idea :-)

Cheers!