RE: Lift install question

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: RE: Lift install question
From: "Madurski, Ronald M" <ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:38:22 -0500
>   - Shim the frickin' posts.  You want them plumb.  I can't
> believe this
> isn't in the docs.  But it wasn't in mine.

I was pretty surprised how much shimming was necessary to get my posts
vertical.  My floor is almost perfectly level and on one side I have
almost 1/4" of shims on one corner of the base.

>   - Blow out the concrete holes and use epoxy to set the
> bolts - even if
> they're expansion.  You don't want voids.

I didn't do this.  What strength does the epoxy add?

>   - Once you get the post installed and bolted into place,
> run a bead of
> silicone along the metal/concrete to seal it so melted snow
> doesn't seek
> underneath the post plate.

I'll second this one.  I just resealed my floor and plan to do this
tonight.  A lot of crap ends up underneath the base if you don't do it.

>   - I built a couple under car lights as shown by the pics at
> http://home.mindspring.com/~haudi/.   Procedure:  goto home
> depot and get 2

Cool, Did you try mounting it vertically so you don't have to go around
it all of the time?

>   - Make up some lifting arm cusions.  No pix of these yet
> since I still
> have the magnets, styrofoam and padding sitting on a shelf
> waiting to be
> cut up....

I have a few lumps on my head that indicate this would be a very good
idea :-)

Ron Madurski