Re: need to cut off a backsplash

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: need to cut off a backsplash
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:23:59 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <scott.hall@comcast.net>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

> I need to remove the backsplash.

Is this a 'post formed' counter top? (one with the laminate's horizontal &
vertical surfaces all one piece that has been 'formed' to make the back
splash section) If so, I cannot think of an easy way to saw it off in-situ.

If the back splash is a separate piece (you should be able to see a joint
where they meet) you might be able to hack it off. The separate piece will
either be attached with screws from below or glued to the wall (or perhaps
both...). You could try sawing it off about 1/2" above the plane of the
counter top (sawing through the screws if that is how it is attached) and
then busting off the small section remaining. Use a nail cutting saw blade
in a circular saw - perhaps modifying the base plate to allow you to cut
close to the countertop. The stubs of the screws could then be broken off or
driven down. If the backsplash has been glued in place, prying it off the
wall may slightly damage the wall (but you'll be tiling over it, correct?)

Note that I said *you* could try this. *I* would or make a new counter
top...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961