compact tractors, loaders, backhoes (fwd)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: compact tractors, loaders, backhoes (fwd)
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:06:25 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

Anyone here know much about compact tractors / loaders / backhoes?

We're going to have a decent amount of landscaping / trenching to do next
year and we're looking into what we'd need to get to make it suck less.

Seems like a compact 4wd tractor with a small loader & backhoe would be a
good way to go, but it also seems like they want real money for the
things. (I can't see any options less than around $10k, and that price
seems to be cheap...  :-)  I'd prefer to rent, but the nature of my
projects is going to be working on them a couple hours each evening since
our weekends are going to be taken up with autocross stuff.

I can borrow my dad's '79 Kubota L185DT long term, but I'd need to find a
front loader for it, along with a box scraper (I think, anyway... I'm
totally new to landscaping stuff).  The box scrapers don't seem to be a
problem, but I can't find anyone listing loader attachment brackets for
that tractor.

Oh, that tractor also has loaded 'woods style' (agricultural?  Not turf)
tires/wheels... Any idea where I can find wheels/turf tires for it?  What
sorta costs would I end up paying?

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice from someone that knows more about
this stuff than me.

Thanks!

Mark