Re: Bad silicone caulk?

To: Larry Spector <lspector@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bad silicone caulk?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:36:12 -0500
Larry Spector wrote:
> I'm trying to seal a shower stall, and applied GE Silicone II caulk
> (from a brand new tube) last night. This morning, it's still sticky.
> The label claims that it should be non-tacky after 30 minutes. Did I
> get bad caulk? If so- what's the best way to get it cleaned up? Will
> it cure eventually if I leave it alone?

   Ungh, my wife and I just went through this.

   We had to do some work on the bathroom, so we grabbed a tube of caulk
from the tool room and did the job.

   After a couple of weeks, we gave up waiting for it to harden and had
to wipe it all away and redo.

   We later noticed the caulking was slightly expired, but not by much
so had we read the expiry date before we probably would have assumed it
would be ok and used it anyways. (hey, we've all drank Milk that was
"just a little over" right, how bad could it be?)

   D'oh.

   I suspect if it doesn't harden quickly like you expect it to, it'll
never harden. Or at least never harden properly and last like it should.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca