Re: Cordless tools......

To: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>,
Subject: Re: Cordless tools......
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:33:32 -0400
> DeWalt, Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee and Skil (amongst
> others, I'm sure) all seem to offer the 18V combos.  I've not
> examined their individual tool choices in their combos, but I'd
> be interested in hearing any recommendations regarding
> choice of brands.

The Craftsman 19.2V series, hands down!  I have had my Craftsman 19.2V drill
for about 18 months now and it has been a solid performer in every task I
have thrown at it.  I have installed about 90 sheets of 4x8 drywall with it
and at 60 screws a sheet that is a pretty hefty task for a DIY drill...
it'll go for about four hours doing drywall duty on a single battery charge.

I was also impressed with how it performed when I did all the rough
electrical and plumbing on my house over the last 18 months, there was not a
stud or beam it could not put a hole through (including three 4" thick
gluelam beams), and I must have run a few hundred feet of 14-2 and 12-2.

Now that most of the housework is done, the drill is getting less use, but
it still gets used in the shop every few days for drilling through some sort
of metal (also must give praise to DeWalt Cobalt bits for this, great
bits!), I have done sheet steel and aluminum up to plate steel 3/8" thick.

Cons?  The wieght of this sucker is pretty impressive, especially when you
are holding it above your head to install ceiling drywall.  But after about
a week of hanging drywall the weight of the unit was no longer a bother.

Price $89 with your Craftsman club card ($99 otherwise).  Includes two 19.2
batteries, quick charger (full charge in under an hour), a flashlight and a
case.

Expandability is pretty good as well, as Craftsman has an extensive 19.2V
power tool line up.  Cordless circular saws, reciprocating saws etc.  (I
Finally bought the cordless circular saw, but I have not used it much other
than for cutting some plywood and trim).

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics