Re: cutting torch or??

To: "Skip Albright" <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cutting torch or??
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:15:12 -0400
> I find my self needing to cut up cars, maybe one a month.
>
> Sawzall and circular saw with metal  cutting blades work, but
> are expensive to use, and ugly , noisy work.
>
> whats the next step up?
>
> cutting torch?  what specs do I want?
> can I use the same torch for general work?

I have cut up more than my fair share of old British cars, about 35 in the
last 10 years.  I preffered a Sawzall to a torch every single time.  The
sawzall is faster and more precise and there is almost no chance of fire
when you use the sawzall.  Blade wear / breakage is not a problem on sheet
metal, or even boxed body sections.  The only car I ever had blades break on
me was cutting up an Austin Healey 100-6 chassis, those things are build
like tanks!  Since then, I have switched to DeWalt brand metal and
demolition blades, and have yet to have one break (I recommend them for
every task!),

I did not mind the noise, I prefer it to the heat of a torch.  I do not care
what anyone says, if you use a torch, stuff will burn... you will see old
carpet fibers stuck on the floor smolder, grime on the chassis will smoke.
You have to, or should, also remove the fuel and brake lines before cutting
up the chassis using a torch.  With the sawzall I just slice through them
and they the lines do not heat up much at all.

I have never used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade either, nor have
I ever seen anyone else do that.  I have used air grinders and electric
angle grinders a few times to lop the tops off stubborn bolts and that sort
of thing.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke