Re: small engine repair

To: Marc Siegel <smarc@abs.net>
Subject: Re: small engine repair
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:06:26 -0400
It may not have any electronics.  On a Sears mower that I have, I had a no start
condition and I made the same discovery you did.  What I also found, though, was
that as a result of hitting lots of rocks and other obstacles, the flywheel had
sheared its key somewhat and was now out of correct timing range.  Apparently,
there is nothing more than a magneto operating there, with the timing determined
by the proper location of the flywheel magnets against the coil alone.  I saw no
trace of electronics.

I put a proper key back in and it started first pull.

So, if there are no electronics, testing consists of continuity checks.

Anyway, that's what mine was.  The parts manual refers to this coil and stuff as
"solid state ignition."  While technically true, I suppose, it wasn't what I
expected.