small engine repair

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: small engine repair
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:04:29 -0400
My lawn mower wont start. It appears theres no spark. Its an older MTD
mower with a 4hp B&S Quattro (10A900) engine. I figured its either points
or condenser, and pulled it apart, popped off the flywheel, and guess what
No points or condenser. Did a little snooping on the net and found it uses
a combined unit consisting of coil, electronics, plug wire, and it only
costs about $40.

Is there anyway to test these units? I dont really want to drop $40 to find
out that I didnt need it. This mower is pretty beat up, but might have a
year or two left in it

Marc Siegel

Charm Net LLC.

Baltimore, MD