Re: underground house electrical supply?

To: Chris K <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Subject: Re: underground house electrical supply?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:44:24 -0400
At 08:59 AM 9/25/2004 -0400, Chris K wrote:

>You do NOT want to try to run anything on the far side of the transformer
>(the gray cylinder) yourself.  That's probably why the utilitiy didn't
>recommend it.  The "drop" from the transformer to your house is a maximum
>of 220 volts, nominal, (figuring the two 110 volt legs that are 180
>degrees out of phase).  The far side of the transformer is 10,000 volts at
>least.  Running that stuff underground is a major construction project.

can I not trench and run the line and let an electrician connect it?  note:
I'm not actually playing with any electricity (of that voltage)
myself.  just digging, laying conduit and running wire through it.

I can't help but think that this *can* go underground (as it's all
underground where my family is from in illinois), I just need to figure out
how to do it.

fwiw, there are actually two transformers (or at least two grey cylinders)
- one on the pole where the line splits off from the street towards my
house (where I think of as 'my' line begins, and where I'd like eventually
to start the underground run to my house), and one on the pole in my front
yard where the lines go from three unsheathed taut wires to the transformer
and out of the transformer comes one black-sheathed thicker wire that isn't
tightly strung and terminates at my house.

I'd like all of this underground, but the part that really *needs* to be
underground are the three 'high tension' (the highest voltage stuff, I
guess) wires that go from the transformer in my yard to the street.  those
are the lines that run though and under the trees.  the one over my front
yard...well, if a tree hits that, I'll probably have bigger problems than a
lack of electricity.

scott