Re: oil change

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil change
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:24:09 -0700
> where large clearances or other issues come into play).  If and when Detroit
> adopts 15k mile oil changes from everything from a Ford Focus to a Corvette,
> that will be the day you can trust that interval figure.  Until that day,
> 5-6k miles seems to be the current industry norm.

So far as I can tell 10-15K *is* the norm these days, the GM engines
with oil-change counters (including the LS6) run that distance, and
pretty much all the Euro makes are 12K-ish.  Indeed, going 20K km
between oil changes seems to be a market imperative in Europe.

As with coolants, manufacturer oil requirements are splintering.  5W-30
is not 5W-30, for instance - the viscosity range allowed is too broad,
and BMW's idea of a 5W-30 is not Mobil's or GM's or...

John.