Re: Air Chucks and Blow Guns

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Chucks and Blow Guns
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:16:27 -0500
>Karl wrote:
>>But darned if I can remember who used to make Binks air hose.

>Todd wrote:
>         The Binks company? http://www.binks.com/products/display15_1.asp

Actually, no.  Binks only made hose assemblies from hose we bought and
fittings that we mostly manufactured in-house.  We were in the spray
equipment business, not rubber manufacturing.  Sure, the hose manufacturer
stamped "Binks" on the outer jacket, just like they undoubtedly did for
other companies to whom they sold large quantities of bulk hose.

My point was that whoever made the actual hose itself is probably still in
business making hose, but it's been nearly 20 years since I left there and I
just don't remember who it was.  Obviously, it's not the same grade as you
get at Home Depot, etc. - you'd need to go to an industrial hose company and
buy their best.  And I bet it's still far better than the consumer stuff.

BTW - that link to Binks is the present company, which in large measure is
just a name - the real company died about 10 years ago.  The business
faltered in the 90's and eventually ITW bought it, and combined it with our
arch-enemy DeVilbiss (etc.), sold off the main manufacturing facility in
Franklin Park, Illinois, and now it's just a product line made alongside
lots of other stuff.

Karl