quick generator help?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: quick generator help?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:29:40 -0400
y'all

I'm in florida, right in frances' projected path.  I have access to a
10,000 watt (that'd be 10kW by my reckoning) twin-cylinder honda generator,
a 3 cylinder diesel 8 kW generator, or a 4 cylinder diesel (I think it
might be ~8kW as well) generator.

the honda is $2000, the 3-cyl diesel is $3,000, and the 4-cylinder is $2500.

my question is more about the rated kW of each.  are they rated like air
compressors, where 10 kW isn't, in fact, 10 kW?  I tend to believe the
4-cyl diesel would deliver the most power, followed by the 3-cyl, then the
honda.  as well, the 4-cyl is mounted on a skid and huge, the 3 on a
trailer, and the honda is a little bitty lookin' thing.  how can it
possible out-supply the bigger ones?

and then question 2: will any of these run a central a/c system?  if I'm
spending, I'd like to be able to run everything, even if not all at
once.  I looked on the a/c system for ratings/info, and couldn't find
any.  I figure any of those will run everything else (fridge, well pump,
water heater), but I'm not sure about the a/c.  if anyone could even hazard
a guess, I'd appreciate it.

for what it's worth, it's a 3.5 ton 19 seer carrier weathermaker.  rule of
thumb?  wild guess?

thanks in advance.

scott