Re: covenants

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: covenants
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:44:45 -0700
At 07:32 AM 8/15/2004 -0400, FRED E THOMAS wrote:

>Community covenants are written by state and federal legislature and then
>adopted by homeowners associations, junk cars are also covered by state law,
>if you don't want your neighborhood to look like a trash heap then store the
>junker/parts car behind a fence or tarp, all states have provisions for
>antique car registration usually below $10.00, running or not.

In general, I agree with you, except that hiding your junker/parts/project car
may be illegal

There are a hodgepodge of laws here in Western Washington and if I
remember correctly in Seattle, a determination of a junk car can be made if the
car has ANY of the following characteristics.  Disassembled, damaged,
OR unregistered.  Then the law says you can't store a junk car on your
property.  What was freaking the hobbyists, was that, by ordinance, in
some communities, you couldn't keep a car like this in your garage.
Enforcement varies of course, but you had to feel sorry for the guy
who was working on his car in the carport.

What was funny, and illustrates the power of special interests,
is that you can build a temporary structure if you're building a boat
in Seattle. But it isn't allowed for a car.

Steve Shipley