20A wiring (was compressors)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: 20A wiring (was compressors)
From: Brian Borgstede <itcbborg@admiral.umsl.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:39:15 -0500
When we moved into our house, I tried by compressor in the 15A outlet in
the garage and it tripped the breaker.  I also tried my MIG welder and
the welds didn't penetrate at all.  You know, when the breaker trips,
you find out how many other outlets and lights are on that same circuit.
  Hmmm.  Since the welder is 110V, I decided to run 12AWG wire from a
20A breaker to a 20A outlet in the attached garage.  It's one run to one
outlet, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  The compressor jumps to
life when started even in the winter.  The welds are sloppy and
sometimes burn through, but that's my fault, not the power.  Before I
finish the basement I might run a 220V line for the compressor in case
it wanted to cycle while I'm welding.

Oh, one thing my father taught me put the compressor next to the outlet
and run a long hose.  No extension cords!

Brian BorgstedeEngineer, Videoconferencing and Video Classrooms
University of Missouri - St. Louis
143 South Campus Classroom Bldg.
8001 Natural Bridge Rd.  63121
Desk: (314) 516-6433