Re: Air compressor head bolts

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air compressor head bolts
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:36:51 -0700
Larry,

There are several aluminum components--shocks, carbs, thermo housting--on
my Austin-Healey 3000.  I have had success using hardened ("grade 8") washers
under the bolt heads to securely "clamp" the aluminum component (especially the
shocks, which are known to work loose).  I don't believe in using lockwashers,
because they dig into the aluminum and can loosen.

If it's a critical component--like the shocks, which in the front form part of
the
suspension--I use blue Loctite on the bolts and torque according to bolt size.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net