Re: Green silicon carbide wheels

To: "David C." <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Subject: Re: Green silicon carbide wheels
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:24:38 -0700
On Jul 9, 2004, at 10:17 PM, David C. wrote:

> I got a tool grinder a little while back when Horrible Freight put
> them on sale:
>

> Any suggestions?  I got the machine mostly to grind HSS tools with, as
> the adjustable tables give you a lot more control over the angles, but
> if the wheel selection is going to be limited it may not work out as
> well as I hoped.
>
> Thanks
> Dave C

Hi Dave,

I have limited experience using green wheels to sharpen carbide, and I
was never pleased with the results.

For HSS I noticed a big difference between generic wheels (old American
or new import) and Norton wheels designed for tools steel.  A really
big difference in price too (maybe $25 for a wheel ?).  Years ago I
bought a pink color Norton wheel (from MSC as I recall).  It is
supposedly more friable and will wear faster, but at the rate that I am
sharpening things it will last a lifetime in my home shop.

That looks like a nice grinder, I was considering making an adjustable
tool stand but maybe this is a better approach.

-Roger