Re: Raccoon bait

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Raccoon bait
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:06:46 -0400
I am a licenced wildlife control officer, as well as being just a normal
trapper.  So, what are you going to do with this racoon once you catch
it in a cage trap?  It's almost always illegal to transport it somewhere
else and release it.  It's also a very tacky thing to do to the folks
who's land you release it on, as well as cruel to the raccoon.  And this
doesn't include the fun of trying to handle a caged racoon.  They can be
quite the handful.  If you don't know how to handle that cage, you've
got a real good chance of getting bitten or clawed.

There's also the matter of getting the coon into a cage trap, something
that's not as easy as it sounds.  You'd do far better with an egg trap
or coon cuffs.

It's rather hard to dispatch an animal in a cage trap.  CO will work,
but it's time consuming.  Personally, I recommend drowning.  It's quick.
 Fill a trash can with water, dump the entire cage into the water and
give it a few minutes.  Don't go pulling the trap up to inspect the
still living racoon.  But all of this involves you handling the cage
with the racoon in it.

As for lure and bait, stinky fish and marshmallows.  Those are the two
best racoon baits known to exist.