Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:08:44 -0400
Quite common instructions, particularly for vehicles like yours.  It's a
two fold reason.

First, from the factory your car most likely does not use a strut
cartridge, but is the strut itself.  The aftermarket piece you are
installing is a cartridge, and does not fit flawlessly into the
remaining shell.

Second, the oil aids in heat transfer.  Without it, you will have an
insulating layer of air surrounding the cartridge insert, and the heat
will break down the oil more quickly then intended.  The oil eliminates
the layer of air and helps heat transfer to the metal shell, cooling the
strut.

>>> "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com> 06/04/04 11:22PM >>>

Just picked up a new pair of struts to replace the 150,000 mile (i.e.,
really shot) ones on my '94 Nissan Quest.  Replacement procedure is
simple
enough: mark orientation, remove assembly, compress spring and replace
strut, then reinstall.

Replacement units are Gabriel gas-filled.  But I just happened to peek
at
the short instruction sheet in the bottom of the box.  Pretty much the
same
instructions as above, except that there's a step that says something
like
"open up the strut and add 30cc of oil" , along with a drawing of a
unit
with the top off and a beaker of oil being poured in. Huh?

BTW, this is only in *one* of the boxes. Did this come from something
else?
Any thoughts?