Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?
From: wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:52:41 -0400
At 11:22 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>Just picked up a new pair of struts to replace the 150,000 mile (i.e.,
>really shot) ones on my '94 Nissan Quest.  .....
>..... except that there's a step that says something like "open up the
>strut and add 30cc of oil" , along with a drawing of a unit with the top
>off and a beaker of oil being poured in. Huh?  BTW, this is only in *one*
>of the boxes. Did this come from something else?  Any thoughts?

I think you're right on with the idea you got the instructions to something
else.  I've never heard of any Nissan or domestic being manually oil
filled.  Except, as others pointed out, cartridge replacements (Koni makes
hi-po units like that for some strut applications) and some specific makes
(eg: oil dampers on some LBCs).  And, I guess VWs --- the oil must give
that extra buoyancy needed to get up on three wheels!  ;)

More importantly SAFETY WISE -- cutting, drilling or otherwise
disassembling any gas-filled strut or shock can be dangerous!  The gas is
supposedly at enough pressure to send things flying.  Same goes for
compressing you springs - avoid putting your body in the spring's path, in
case the compressor lets loose.

Just personal opinion here, but all mass-market replacement struts
(Gabriel, Monroe, et al) SUCK.  You're likely to find they're in worse
shape after 20K than your OEMs were at 150K.  Before you spend the time
installing them, you might wanna' price OEM parts with these
guys:  http://www.courtesyparts.com  They should give 20 - 30% off list
price, esp if you tell 'em you were referred by the SE-R Group on the 'net.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '92 SE-R (in boxes & bags)