Re: hp -> Watts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hp -> Watts?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:33:23 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>Our power went out last night, so I ran an extension cord from the little
>1000W Honda (EX, not an EU) generator off down to the sump pump, plugged
>it in, and was dismayed to see the pump not work.  Later on, power came
>back on and the pump worked fine.
>
>I can't imagine that pump is anything more than a 1 hp unit, probably more
>like 1/3 or 1/2 hp...  What size generator do I need to make that puppy
>work?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark

Forget about horsepower and watts.  Just focus on amps.  Both the
generator and pump will list amps.  The Honda web site says the EU1000
(not EX) can deliever 7.5 amps (8.5 amps peek).  A 1 HP induction motor
draws about 10 amps (can vary), peaks about 12 amps on startup, so the
generator is not enough for a 1 HP motor but probably enough for a 1/2
HP motor.