Re: Frosting Window Glass

To: "Jimmie Mayfield" <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>,
Subject: Re: Frosting Window Glass
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:40:18 -0500
> You can buy adhesive sheets for windows that make them look frosted.  The
> sidelight windows for my front door have been covered with this.  I'm not
> sure how permanent they would be in a high-humidity environment like a
> bathroom.

I have this in my bathroom.  Put it up in 1998.  Have it in my shop, too.
Put it up in 1999, I think.  Put it on my basement windows in maybe 2000.
All are still there.  All are glass except the one basement window which is
polycarb since I sawed a hole into it for an exhaust port.

The stuff I have is molded into little prisms in a sort of
triangulated-square pattern, two-and-a-half squares to the inch.  It comes
on roles like shelf paper.

I wouldn't consider trying to etch glass mechanically or chemically with the
windows in place.  I'm getting all the performance I need from this stuff,
which was cheap, easy, and not threatening to the health of my windows or
me.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.