Re: Grass cutting question

To: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Subject: Re: Grass cutting question
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:51:50 -0700
On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 09:49:27AM -0400, MJSUKEY@cs.com wrote:

> I have a dumb grass cutting question. I have a small ford rider and a big
> commercial KutKwick zero turn mower that I use to cut 3 acres. The zero turn
>was
> purchased used to replace the Ford rider. It sees as though the big mower
> tends to tear the grass rather than cut it cleanly. The blades of the grass
>tend
> to split and turn brown. I sharpen the blades and it cuts cleaner but not a
> clean cut like the smaller ford. Am I not standing on the right foot or
>holding
> my head the right way when I sharpen the blades or something?  Phase of the
> moon possibly? Any suggestions?

Sharpening the blades always works for me.
Did you keep the edges at the same angle as standard?
(I don't know what the appropriate angle for grass blades is so
I just sharpen mine to what it was originally).

Could your new mower's engine be running at lower than intended rpms?
That'd result in a lower blade speed.

Eric