Re: Grass cutting question

To: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Subject: Re: Grass cutting question
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:42:55 +0100
At 09:49 15/05/04 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a dumb grass cutting question. I have a small ford rider and a big
>commercial KutKwick zero turn mower that I use to cut 3 acres. The zero
>turn was
>purchased used to replace the Ford rider. It sees as though the big mower
>tends to tear the grass rather than cut it cleanly. The blades of the
>grass tend
>to split and turn brown. I sharpen the blades and it cuts cleaner but not a
>clean cut like the smaller ford. Am I not standing on the right foot or
>holding
>my head the right way when I sharpen the blades or something?  Phase of the
>moon possibly? Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Marty

Hi Marty,

Speed of blade rotation? But looking at the KutKwick  website it certainly
looks as though they know how to build a mower. It reads as though the
blades are made from pretty thick steel, thicker than the Ford unit? Grass
condition? Sometimes if grass is very lush it will tear rather than cut
cleanly.

Nick Brearley
Grasping at straws here...  Sorry, couldn't resist.