Straight Line ripper for 16' rough sawn lumber

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Straight Line ripper for 16' rough sawn lumber
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:39:16 -0400
I would like to construct a Straight Line Ripper to cut a straight edge
on some rough sawn lumber. I would then cut the parallel edge on my
table saw. There is about 3000 board feet of it, mostly in 6" wide by
12', 14', and 16' lengths. Lots of it.

I have a jointer, but it would just take too long.

My notion would be to construct some sort of table which would allow me
to quickly clamp a piece in place, and then run down the edge of it with
a hand held circular saw running on a track of some kind. Kind of like
those plywood saws you see at the lumber yard, but mounted on a narrow
horizontal table about 16' long.

Has anyone seen any plans for such a beast, or could you refer me to
some carpentry web sites that might help me find such a thing?

Thanks,

Don Malling