RE: Battery Voltages

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery Voltages
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:34:06 -0700
> Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:
> > So, what are the voltages below which alkaline and conventional battery
> > types AA, AAA, 9 v, C, and D should be thrown away. I have a digital
> > meter to help with this task.
>
>    This would be akin to throwing away your car when the change
> compartment is empty.
>
>    Battery voltage and charge reserve have only a passing relationship,
> especially considering the many battery chemistries available.

Reasonable assumption : by "conventional" he meant carbon-zinc.  These are
"flashlight" battery sizes after all ... and for both carbon zinc and
alkaline battery chemistries, no load voltage is a fair indicator of charge
reserve.  No doubt under load is better, but open circuit isn't completely
worthless.

Steve's rule is the same one I use ... a battery (of those chemistries) that
exhibits less than 1.5v per cell (a 9v is just 6 cells in one package) at
room temperature is near the end of it's service life.  How near depends on
how low a voltage is useful to you ... there have certainly been times when
even a feeble glow from my flashlight was better than nothing.  But below
1.5v open circuit is below half-life, at least, and I wouldn't put them back
in something unless I had no choice.

Randall