Re: What do you call.........Joes?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What do you call.........Joes?
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:50:18 -0700
At 02:13 PM 4/11/2004 -0700, Steve Hammatt wrote:

>I'm thinking back to an older house we owned many years ago.
>I didn't know it until after we purchased the house and the owners
>had cleaned out the garage, but it had a mechanic's pit on one side
>of the garage.  I've been doing some research on these pits and got
>to wondering what other names could be used.  We're getting ready
>to build a new home (and shop) and I want to check out the building
>codes for any consideration necessary.
>I've used:
>mechanic's pits
>lube pits
>grease pits
>
>Anyone care to add to the list?

Though not for working on cars, your pit might be referred
to as a vault.  Where I work, no one will enter these without testing the
atmosphere and rigged so that the person topside can pull 'em out when
overcome by fumes or whatever.  The second person doesn't enter the
vault to rescue, it's a good way to get killed.  It's always a two person
job and taken
pretty seriously.

And as far as running a crane while under the load, the standard quote they
taught me as an ironworker's helper was.....
"You can always tell the Joes by the number of fingers and toes"

Major Danger
Seattle, WA.