Re: bits for curved holes?

To: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: bits for curved holes?
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:45:13 -0800
On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 02:51 PM, Skip Albright wrote:

> Today I was in the local Grainger store, for a minute. they had wood
> bits that drill curved holes and around corners. I didn't have time to
> figure them out. any one explain them to me?
>
> thanks
>
> skip

Hi Skip,

If these are the bits that I am thinking of, they work this way:  The
cutting edge is full diameter, but the bit is reduced in diameter just
behind the cutting edge.  This allows you to first start the hole, then
move the drill motor to change the direction of the cut.  Within limits
you can cut a curved hole.  The reason that you cannot do this with a
conventional twist drill bit is that the bit diameter is constant for
the whole length of the drill bit and, in effect, guides the drill bit
is a straight line.

Roger