Re: o/t: Battery cut off switch.

To: ianmiller07@hotmail.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: o/t: Battery cut off switch.
From: LRuggi2635@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:32:42 EST
Ian,

Not sure about the battery cable sizing (just use generic cable from any auto
parts store), but I did the same thing to my '72 MGB roadster. By the way,
this assumes you will convert from dual 6 volt batteries to a single 12V, the
smaller sizes of which will fit in one of the battery bins (I suggest the
passenger side) and should crank that lumpy 6-cylinder just fine. Make up the
battery cables for the installation with appropriate size ring terminals and
battery
connection (suggest using heat shrink over the connections, soldered with a
butane torch).

I mounted the switch by just in front of the battery bin using a step-bit,
like a Unibit, drilling an appropriate size hole through the kick panel behind
the passenger seat. The Unibit is great for making progressively larger holes
in sheet metal. I used a good quality switch without a removable key (single
circuit, non-alternator protection switches work fine) into the ground side of
the battery (negative for your MGC, I believe). If you want stereo setting
protection, you can jumper across the switch terminals with a fused, 12-14 ga
wire. This will keep the stereo settings but blows the fuse if someone attempts
start the car with the cutoff switch off.

Any questions, give a hollar.

Larry Ruggiero
Warner Robins, GA

'72 MGB