Re: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!
From: Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:36:02 -0500
Hi All,

A couple of things.

Many times disk pulsation is due to a build up on the rotor from the brake
pad. To clean these drop in a set of abrasive pads like Hawk Blues and run
for a 100 miles or so and clean rims - otherwise you will have to clean
them and it is not easy to do. Perhaps an air tool with  an abrasive pad
mounted

I would always recommend bedding in pads before using them: In a nut shell:
1/2 a dozen hard stops from 80 mph or so, get everything REAL hot and then
then let cool.

Street pads: I like Repco/Axxis Metalmasters, Track Whatever...

I also do not recommend turning rotors - just causes problems and reduces
the thermal mass you have to work with causing problems to reappear quickly.

Ray