Re: How to build a lifting gantry for a chain fall.....

To: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to build a lifting gantry for a chain fall.....
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:47:52 -0500
> I just bought an old tractor and am looking at an engine rebuild this
> spring/summer. I could probably pull it with my cherry picker but I'd
> feel more confident with the greater safety factor of a gantry. I know
> I could build a basic one by just making an inverted "U" with feet
> and wheels on it, but I am sure somebody has some good idea for
> features to add which would improve it functionality, ease of
> storage, etc. Also, I am wondering whether it would be possible to
> make one from heavy wood, like 6x6s or if I should only consider
> steel? Harbor freight shows one for around $500 that seem to have
> a height adjustment operated by a hand winch. Does anybody have
> any good ideas?

Wood works fine for occasional use.  Last summer I had to unload two TR6
engines, both sharing the same pallet, from my pickup truck.  An hour spent
erecting a wooden gantry with scrap 2x8 (doubled up) with diagonal bracing
from the main beam to the feet was all I needed.  We lifted both the pallet
off with both TR6 motors still on it.

The motors still had all manifolds and accessories, so I would guess the
pallet weighted around 850-900lbs.  I had a one ton chain hoist from
Homier.com that I paid $25 for... worked like a charm, the gear ratio in the
hoist made the lifting pretty easy.  The gantry was open 8ft in the center,
so I could easily back my truck up, in between the posts with quite a bit of
room on each side.

I keep the wooden gantry disassembled when not in use.  Some 3" bolts hold
the main pieces together, it comes apart quick and goes together quick.  And
I did not spend more than $35 to make it, including a some 2x4 for the
diagonal bracing that I had to run out and buy (I already had the 2x8s
laying around).

Here is a link to a quick diagram I sketched.  If it wasn't 1AM I would
assemble the unit and take some photos, but that just is not going to happen
tonight...

http://www.wbclassics.com/images/gantry.jpg

The blue triangles in the upper corners of the gantry were gussets that I
cut out of OSB to give the thing some more rigidity.  Gussets are present on
both sides of the unit.

Since this was constructed out of wood, I have to throw in the disclaimer
of... "if it breaks, it is not my fault".  I would have used metal, if I had
scrap I beams and angle iron laying around.  But with the materials at hand,
and with weather considerations that day, wood became the best construction
material given the conditions.

Kai