Re: autobody HVLP spray gun recommendations?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: autobody HVLP spray gun recommendations?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:23:43 -0500
HVLP is my wish list so I don't have a specific recommendation (yet).

My research on the subject reveals there are two types of HVLP systems. I
call them 'true' & 'conversion'.

True HVLP uses a turbine to supply the air at, umm, high volumes, low
pressures... Conversion converts compressed air (typically at ~90psi, thus:
high pressure) to HVLP. (uses voodoo, I guess).

Anyway, to run a true HVLP, one also needs to purchase the turbine unit.
Good points are that they run on 120V, thus can easily be used in any shop.
The hoses are bulkier, perhaps a negative.

Good quality conversion HVLP guns will tend to cost more than conventional
spray guns (HPLV?). Economies of scale perhaps but the prices are slowly
coming down (or at least equalizing). One important caveat is to look
carefully at the air consumption requirements of the conversion systems.
Typically, they are very high and beyond the air supplies of a small (<10hp)
air compressor. Certainly more than my SpeedAire 1hp.

When I do jump into HVLP, I plan to buy a true system and use it with my
'paint pot'. I will use my current air compressor to pressurize the paint
pot, eliminating the need for frequent refills of the spray gun's cup.

HTH,
Eric Russell