Re: Powder Coating Question

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Powder Coating Question
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:26:24 -0800
At 03:38 AM 1/14/2004, you wrote:

>Before I go and buy the Harbor Freight powder coating gun I had a question
>about powder coating large pieces, like my truck frame.  Can I do it with
>a heat gun or a torch?  I certainly can't take the

   Heat gun would probably not work, cant get hot enough to get the frame
hot.   A torch would blow the powder right off, it does not take much to
get powder off the part prior to curing.  I have the smaller of the 2 heat
lamps that Eastwood sells, I would have bought the larger one but they
didnt carry it at the time (2 years ago).  I did some parts that were
approx. 6ft. long and basically you count an hour for the first foot and
then 45 minutes a foot afterwards since the area is warm from the
first/last foot you did, you have to get it hot and then keep it hot for 20
minutes.  If it is very thin metal it gets hot in minutes but for something
the thickness of a frame takes quite a long time.

   The larger lamp would of course speed things up, I ended buying a small
oven for the small parts and keep the lamp only for long things I dont want
to paint.  You do have to be careful with small parts since the lamp gets
them too hot very quickly, on small parts you almost have to watch the temp
constantly, on larger parts you can walk away for 5 minutes at a time :)

   Paint the big things, get a small oven and powder coat everything else.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/