Re: shop heaters

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: shop heaters
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:03:08 -0600
> I'm in the middle of installing a shop heater right now...  now I'm in
Alabama
> and right now it's in the high thirties with the forecast saying 42 will
be
> the high... don't think it will make it...
>
> ceiling is finished with 6" of fiberglass above.

Good.  Did you put up a vapor barrier?

Being in Alabama, do you plan on cooling it in the summer?

> I snagged a good deal on a Reznor ceiling hung forced air unit (free)  50K
btu
> and natural gas... the unit is installed in the corner and points toward
the
> center of the room...  I have yet to punch thru the roof for the vent

I'd feel a lot better about going through the wall.  Leave those shingles
alone.  You won't have the ice-damming problems we have here, but still, the
roof is better left undisturbed.

> A thermostat will be mounted on the far corner
> of the shop and I plan to keep it set to around 50.   I can always kick it
up
> when I'm working if necessary..

I thought that, too, but I almost never do it.  Working at 50 is pretty
comfortable.

> It will be nice to work out their this winter with warm floors, tools and
> body...

You think it's nice for you.  Imagine how ecstatic I am with a 50-degree
shop when it's 10 below outside!

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"Drifting is the synchronized swimming of auto competitions."  -Gene Bennett