Re: Plasma Cutters

To: Larry list account <list@marketvalue.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Plasma Cutters
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:32:39 -0500
At 12:34 PM 11/25/03, Larry list account wrote:

>Plasma cutters, talk to me....

They are truly awesome devices.  Once you see a demo of one, if you're a
"tool guy" you'll want one bad.  I do.

>Fill me in on the home garage/hobbyist models. What's a typical cost?

A "typical" home garage/hobbyist model would be the Nu-Tecsys Pca20Ps
available at www.eastwoodco.com for $720, and elsewhere for perhaps a
little less.  The "big names" like Lincoln and Miller tend to be over $1000.

>Preferred brands?
>
>How thick of material can they cut?

The model I mentioned can cut 3/16".  That's a 110 Volt unit.  If you buy
the 220 V unit (same price) it will cut 1/4".  Sometimes the specs say
something like "cuts 3/16, severs 1/4".  That means that it can cut 1/4",
but it won't be pretty.  Thicker capacity can be had for more money.

>What supplies do they consume?

Mostly just electricity and compressed air.  There are also nozzles and
electrodes that have to be replaced eventually.  Some units have built in
compressors, while others need an external compressor to supply the air.