Hyd cylinder question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Hyd cylinder question
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:53:08 -0500
I am replacing a seal in my engine hoist hyd cylinder.  I have drained all the
fluid out and am getting ready to refill with fresh fluid and have discovered
that I don't know the proper way to fill the darn thing.  It has a hole about
2/3rds of the way up the housing with a rubber plug in and I assume that this
is where the fluid goes in. Do I fill it with the piston extended or bottomed?
Any thing I should do to purge the air out once I fill it? Just fill it till it
wont take any more? Fill it standing? laying down? Ohhh so many choices:)

Marty