RE: Gable Vent Replacements

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gable Vent Replacements
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:09:00 -0800
> Normal vents are made so that you nail it onto the wall and then place the
> siding over the edges/flanges of the vent.  To replace a vent like this
> requires the removal of the siding.  Not quite what I want to do with the
> 30 year old "paper" composite siding on my house.

Maybe I think a little odd ... why not just build your own vent ?  Home
Depot sells wood suitable for slats (or at least they did, I bought some to
use as sides for a small drawer), although you might have to rip it to
width.  It should be fairly simple to cut small trapezoidal pieces to go
between the slats and nail them into the opening.   Paint the opening with
the spacers,  and the slats, then toe-nail the slats in, and cover the
inside with screen.  Not as easy as installing a pre-made vent, of course,
but shouldn't take too long.

Randall