Gable Vent Replacements

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gable Vent Replacements
From: <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:11:40 -0500
I have a question for the vast intelligence and experience of this list:

During Hurricane Isabel, the old gable vent on the side of my house was
"smashed" (thirty year old plastic that shattered) by some branches.  I
need to replace it.

Now comes the problem...

Normal vents are made so that you nail it onto the wall and then place the
siding over the edges/flanges of the vent.  To replace a vent like this
requires the removal of the siding.  Not quite what I want to do with the
30 year old "paper" composite siding on my house.

I have found a "Replace-A-Vent"
<http://www.buildersedge.com/ProductDetailed.asp?p%5Fid=42&mscssid=J07DBS5L801M8N6AXGRR7DLTMHX6F7EE>

that is designed to replace old broken vents - a metal flange is installed
in the opening.  One side slips under the siding, while another part sticks
into the hole at a right angle.  This part is nailed into the framing for
the vent.  The actual vent is then snapped on to the metal flange that
protrudes from the hole.  This would work perfectly *except* that the vent
*only* comes in a "standard" 12" by 18" size, and my vent is 24" by 36".

Anyone know of some other solution short of ripping off the siding?  Any
other source of Replacement Vents"

Tim Mullen