Re: Concert Floors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concert Floors
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:27:38 -0400
1. how big is the slab?  Isn't 2" blue board about $15 for a 2x8?  the
savings will be in the static temp of the slab being 15-20 degrees warmer
than without.  How much energy/$$$ to run the in-floor heating 20 degrees?

2.  inside the walls?  no.

3.  you're in NJ.  Oil.

4.  no.  Paint the ends orange so you don't forget they're there when
finishing the floor.  If you're doing an in-ground outlet for the middle of
the floor, duct-tape the box after stuffing it with newspaper.

5.  lots of gravel.  plastic sheeting.  wire mesh.  concrete.  :-)

6.  Vexcon Chemicals in Philly makes a product called Powercoat C&S
Primer.  C&S + Cure & Seal.  It's basically polystyrene in a solvent you
roller on the slab right after final finishing.  Chemical bond to concrete
stronger than that of epoxy.  When you want to epoxy, you just wash the
floor, recoat and paint.  Chemical bond to epoxy stronger than epoxy to
concrete.  No acid etching, etc...  Gas will dissolve the stuff if you're
not epoxying for a while but you can just re-coat to seal the concrete....

At 09/15/2003 at 00:52, Shakespearean monkeys danced on eric@megageek.com's
keyboard and said:

>Ok, I need to finish my floor on my new shop.
>
>It's going to be 6" slap with radiant tube heat inside.  Here are the
>questions...
>
>1. I was just going to bury 2' of 2" blue board around the edge, is it
>worth wild to also lay it under the slab?
>
>2. Do I need a trench around the edge of the slab?
>
>3. should I use oil or gas for heat?  (oil is most likely cheaper, but gas
>allows for a direct vent burner that mounts on the wall)
>
>4. will burying some PVC in the slab (for electrical lines) be a problem?
>
>5. any products to use that are new?  Any to stay away from?
>
>6. anyone here about "Dura-coat" for the finish?  any word either way?

Cheers!