RE: compressor motor starting problems

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: compressor motor starting problems
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:45:07 -0700
> Bought a new compressor for my shop at the cottage.  The compressor in
> question is a good quality unit with belt driven oiled
> compressor.  The 5hp
> peak motor is rated at 15A@115V, 7.5A@220 volt (Really a 1 1/2 hp
> motor?).  I am having problems starting it on my Solar-electric power
> system.  I am wondering what can I do in the meantime in order to make it
> start easier.

Steve, does it start OK if the tank is bled down first ?  If so, I would
suggest increasing the volume between the compressor and the check valve
(the part that gets bled down when the motor isn't running).  That will give
the motor more time to get up to speed before putting full load on it.  You
could even build a heat exchanger to plumb in there.

Another possibility, I found that with mine, it would only fail to start
when the compressor was cold.  If I bled the tank down when I started to use
it, it would start OK once it was warm.  Always meant to try the volume
thing, but my compressor broke in/wore out enough that now it starts every
time.

I'm dubious whether any "perpetual motion machine" can rightfully be called
"good quality" - 5 hp on 1725 voltamps violates the laws of thermodynamics.
Even a Rolls is lousy quality, if it's advertised as a dump truck !

Randall